Monday, January 26, 2009

Is organization genetic?

It may seem like a weird question, but based on my experience....I'm beginning to think that organization could very well be genetic.

It is very apparent to me that there are some people who just want to wake up, go to work and go home....without really worrying about how good of a job they do. In other words...people who don't really care about getting better at what they do.

I honestly don't get why people would not want to get better at what they do. The more that I think about it, the more I think it just comes down to laziness. People don't like thinking about and working on their weaknesses. I do think it is valid to focus on our strengths, but to think that we are going to 100% of the time be able to only work on the things we are good at, is ignorant.

I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert at this, but I'm just extremely bothered when I witness apathy in the job arena. I think the biggest problem I have with this is that it not only prevents their growth in the company and their own knowledge base/productivity (including wage and benefits), but it also causes more work for other people.

This idea has come up before, but it is especially on my mind as I pursue a career in freelance web programming. If I'm not organized and if I do not have a very good work ethic, I probably won't make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment